Categories
Critical Inquiry exploration Integration Learning Activities Portfolio Triggering Event

Assessing critically

In my previous post, I noted that it is so important that students think critically. However, when I look at some of the assessments that the course has, and the auto marked answers on the quizzes, we don’t allow for critical thinking, only verbatim answers. There is obviously a disconnect here. I think that there needs to be some leeway if answers make sense to the questions posed. After all, what better way for students to disengage if the assessment doesn’t match the teaching and learning!

There are, of course, many topics in which there is a correct or incorrect answer (drug calculations for instance). However, we spend much time on topics such as communication and positive attitude, and these are topics in which critical thinking are just as important. I will try and create some formative assessment activities in which I can post a ‘model’ answer key and with student’s permission, I can post each of their answers as well. This way students get to be a part of the process as well as have the opportunity to express their ideas in a safe, non-graded environment.